Monday, June 25, 2007

What was the bygone era like?

The bygone era. The lost art. The antique furniture. The buried heritage. The forgotten traditions. It’s time to resurrect the long-erased past and relive the nostalgia of those black and white times. But have we really moved ahead in the so-called modern times? Frankly aren’t we trying to revive the past in many a ways? As I was reminiscing about a long lost past, I walked into a store rather absentmindedly. Hmmm…it’s going to be just another store, I thought to myself. And suddenly I felt I was in a completely different era. I felt transported from the fast paced hi tech world of today to an ancient world of a lost era. No doubt a store of today, but the creator sure was a man who wanted to revive the past like me. The store had restored period furniture, reproduction antiques, artifacts, curios and other artistic and ethnic creations.

The shop had an old world charm that’s stunning. At the entrance lay a gigantic genuine Stuttgart piano born in 1926 that stunned me further. As 1 walked down the 1800 sq ft area of artistic elegance every piece spelt class. The grandfather clock adorned a treasured wall. Colorful authentic clocks framed by a mix of wood and metal, added a splash of colour to the soft ambience. An old treasure chest perched on a coconut tree draped by elegant white scarves formed a part of the décor. Ancient kitchen appliances in wood, spread the flavours and smells of the long forgotten Indian spices. Fine antique furniture aesthetically and intricately carved in earthy browns, soft oranges and pastel yellows brought back the nostalgia of the past that still lived today in our minds. Each item told a tale and each artifact haughtily highlighted history. It recaptured the love for the ancient and for a long lost heritage. Even now as I sit and I write about the store it adds a smile to my face.

No comments: